It’s Secret Recipe Club time! Rhonda, a.k.a. The Kitchen Witch has a wonderful blog and I was honored to get to make one of her recipes this month. She is a mother of six with a whole lot on her plate so I admire her for finding the time to cook and blog the great dishes that she posts. She lives and breathes food… my kind of woman.
I’ve been on a wanna-be healthy kick lately because I am a bridesmaid in my brother’s wedding in less than 50 days! Normally this wouldn’t concern me too much since it’s in April but the wedding is in Punta Cana! Normally I could use the entire winter season here in New England to get in shape for bikini season, but not this time. My window to get back in shape is closing very soon so during the week it is all healthy meals for me. That is why this asparagus side dish recipe was perfect. I followed Rhonda’s recipe exactly except I lowered the amount of butter and olive oil used. Your asparagus won’t stick with less oil if you use a good non-stick pan so that’s just what I did. I also used the zest and juice of a whole lemon because I just love that flavor. If you have more zing like that you won’t need as much salt to season it. Try it – I promise the trick works.
Dill Asparagus with Lemon Panko (adapted from The Kitchen Witch)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large non- stick frying pan melt butter over medium heat. Add the panko and lemon zest. Cook, stirring occasionally until panko is toasted and a light golden brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add asparagus, salt and pepper. Saute until asparagus is tender crisp, about 4 to 8 minutes (depending on size). Finish with dill and lemon juice, cook and toss to coat for another 30 seconds to a minute.
- To serve place asparagus on a platter or individual plate and top with lemon panko crumbs.