After a one month hiatus, it’s time for Secret Recipe Club again!
This time I was assigned Kristy’s blog Gastronomical Sovereignty. She does a lot of freelance work for a few publications in Canada where she resides. She says that her blog is “about my adventures with food and the ethical dilemmas of eating in a way that does the least amount of damage to the planet, the animals and each other.” I like that motto, don’t you?
Now onto this dip… it may not look pretty but it sure tastes yummy! It’s a cinch to throw together because it gets pureed in the food processor. Don’t be alarmed by how much vinegar and honey go into this recipe. The flavors all meld together and work beautifully as a dip. It is not too sweet nor too bitter. The taste of black beans isn’t too overpowering either – the veggies really downplay them. I loved it and so did the girls at my monthly Dining Divas get-together when I served this!
Veggie Black Bean Dip (adapted from Gastronomical Sovereignty)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 15 ounce can black beans, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Tortilla Chips (to serve)
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 4 minutes until soften slightly.
- Add the beans, vinegar, honey, chili powder, and cumin. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine and simmer over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Remove from the heat and carefully dump all the contents into a food processor to puree. Taste and add more honey, vinegar or salt if necessary. Allow to cool to room temperature – it will thicken substantially as it cools. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Tomatillo Chicken Soup Delicious for a cold day! This is a great easy home-made soup! It can even be made vegetarian by omitting the chicken and using vegetable...