My stepdad Bill, who I’ve mentioned in this blog before, loves coconut. He happened to have hernia surgery today and is now recovering just fine thankfully. It is times like these that I hate not living in the same state as my family. Times like this call for good food though… food that makes you happy and makes you forget your problems for a little while. That is why I immediately knew I had to bake something for Bill to have when he got home from surgery. Luckily for me, I had my amazing sister visiting for the weekend so I sent her back to New York with these cookies for him. I talked to him a few hours ago and he told me that my cookies were the first thing he grabbed when he got home from the hospital.
The cookbook I found this recipe in has over 600 cookie recipes and they are graded for difficulty at three levels: 1 (easy), 2 (fairly easy), and 3 (complicated). These are rated as a 1 so they are a must-try if you know anyone that likes the flavor of coconut. It’s not too overpowering though. These cookies taste like a hybrid of a butter cookie infused with coconut which makes them highly addictive. It took a lot of willpower for me to send my sister home with a full batch of these cookies. I swear I only tasted one for quality control!
Coconut Cookies (adapted from Cookies)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a cookie sheet or lay parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Mix the flour, coconut, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add the egg, beating until just blended. Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Drop tablespoons of the dough 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool on the cookie sheets for 15 minutes. Transfer to racks to cool completely. Makes 15-20 cookies.
- Grandma’s Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies… with a Twist! It’s been a while since I participated in the Vintage Recipe Swap but boy am I glad I did this month! Christianna at Burwell General...
- S’mores Cookies Have you ever gotten a craving for S’mores? How about a craving for campfires? Maybe another 4 inches of snow inspired me to create a...
- White Chocolate Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies Nothing says Christmas better than this recipe. Cinnamon, white chocolate and dried cranberries – need I say more? Perhaps it is the oats in it...