We’re off to a fresh start at the Gutsy Cooks Club and with some really great options this week. The one that appealed to me most was this Spaghetti el Limone because I LOVE pasta.
This is such an easy recipe; it amazes me how good it is. Recipes like this that require so little ingredients are really dependent on the quality of ingredients. I have a bottle of semi-expensive olive oil that I use specifically for dishes like this. It really is smart to invest in a nice $20+ bottle if you can – the flavor is so much more intense! You will really be able to notice a difference. Believe it or not, I bought a bottle of Lemon Olive Oil this past summer in Saratoga NY that is amazing with some crusty Italian bread. Next time I make this dish, I might try using that.
You must use fresh lemons and fresh basil for this recipe as well; it really brings the dish to life. I bet this pasta would be delicious in the summer when you are looking for a quick dinner that doesn’t require the oven to be turned on. The lemon, Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes hit all the right notes on your tongue. It makes you want to keep eating!
Spaghetti el Limone (adapted from Our Kitchen)
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 1/2-1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (according to your tastes)
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, loosely torn
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine all the ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
2. Cook the pasta according to package directions, drain and then toss through the lemon sauce.